Thursday, December 27, 2018

Who Defines "Old" in Corporate America?

I recently decided to pursue a new job. I had many questions about the wisdom of this decision as I am already over 50 years of age. While I have lost some of my physical abilities, my brain is still going a mile a minute on a variety of topics.

There are many leaders in today's Corporate America companies that are over the age of 50 and while age is not usually discussed, it is a factor - even if its influence isn't overt.

Prior to pursuing a new job, I considered these questions:

  • Do high-potential employees have an age limit?
  • Is there a point in time when a company stops investing in their high-performing resources simply because they are approaching retirement? 
  • What does approaching retirement mean?

After doing some research and reviewing my own ability to do the job I wanted, I discovered something very important: The value of experience. Even in this world where technology changes every day, there is a deep seated need for experience.

Why does experience matter? In Corporate America, there is a significant shift from making the best widget that costs less to giving "CONSUMERS" what they want when they want it. Going after the wallet of these consumers means you have to understand which type of consumers do you want, how many do you need to draw to hit the profit margin. This will drive innovative services and options a company can provide, often through technology. Who has more experience and knowledge on this type of shift? Those that have been in the industry for over 25 years.

I changed jobs 2 weeks ago and once again I am in my wheelhouse: Enterprise Architecture. Once again, I get to drive that need to shift all technical solutions from product-centric to consumer-centric. I am once again challenged by my work. My experience provides insights, and I keep up with the changes by reading many of the books that are pertinent in today's technical environment.

Who defines "OLD" in Corporate America? You do!

No comments: