Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dealing with roadblocks - Explaining vision

One of the most frustrating parts of a job can be removing roadblocks. I consider myself a visionary thinker. I can see what my vision will look like when it is done. So, what do I do when I encounter one of those roadblocks? STOP, THINK, TRY AGAIN.
The hardest part for me when trying to overcome the frustration is to STOP. Don't talk about how bad it is or that no one will listen to my vision, etc. This will serve absolutely no purpose.
Re-thinking the vision or the approach is often exactly what needs to be done. Roadblocks are often mechanisms to give an audience more time to think about the topic but it is also your opportunity to find tune your message.
So, wait for the right time to approach the topic again. This is when you take your vision and you file it away for a time. Keeping doing little "water drops" of your topic without going into too many details.
I promise that if you stop, think, and try again when the timing is right.

No comments: